- Jumeirah 1, Street 10C Villa 41, P.O. Box 333423, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- (+971) 4 349 8800
The correction of prominent ears is a surgical procedure called otoplasty. The surgery is usually performed on both outer ears (but can also work on a single ear) and corrects any irregularities in the cartilage that cause the aspects you want to change in order to obtain well-positioned, symmetrical ears that appear to be naturally in proportion. Otoplasty can be performed on adults, teenagers or, sometimes on children of around 6 to 7 years old.
Before The Procedure
Our surgeon will make a clinical examination of the ears himself to determine the necessary modifications. You will also meet with the anesthesiologist at least 48 hours before surgery. For men, a short hair cut is suitable; for women, a pony tail is welcome. For all patients, the hair must be carefully washed the day before surgery.
During The Procedure
Duration: 1 to 1.5 hours
The stages of ear reshaping will include the following:
• Skin incisions – usually these are made inside the natural fold behind each ear. But sometimes some small complementary incisions may take place at the front of the ears, hidden inside natural folds. Your hair will not be cut during surgery.
• Cartilage reshaping – the principle of this surgery is to create or improve the shape of the ear by thinning and/or bending the cartilage framework, which may necessitate deep fine stitches. Sometimes, cartilage cutting or partial removal is required. The last step is to position the ears as you discussed with the surgeon, followed by anchoring with deep stitches.
• Dressing – elasticated bandages around the head will keep the ears in a good position.
You can leave center the same day of the surgery, after a few hours of rest and medical supervision. Occasionally it may be necessary to stay in the clinic overnight.
After The Procedure
Pain is usually moderate and it can be treated with painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs. In case of persistent pain, you must consult the surgeon.
2 to 5 days after surgery – your dressing will be removed. It will be replaced by a lighter one for another few days. During the early follow-up period, bruises and oedema (swelling) are likely to appear – this will not affect the final result
For 15 days – you’ll wear a protective headband to maintain the ears’ positions as they heal. After the first two weeks you will only need to wear this at night. During this period of time, you must avoid any sport activity or working out
1 to 2 months – Swelling should have decreased enough for you to see the final position of the ears
For at least 2 months – you must avoid extreme cold temperature due to the frost-bite risk
Several months – your scars will remain red and firm before becoming less visible.
Our Medical Center is a unique practice of highly trained professionals offering expert solutions for any type of dermatological or aesthetic concern, delivered with kindness and respect. The experience and knowledge of our board-certified plastic surgeons, general surgeons, vascular surgeons and dermatologists combine to form a unique family of specialists dedicated to the care and rejuvenation of the skin, body and hair. Our practitioners have chosen to be based in our Medical Center, which is formally recognised with full JCAHO accreditation – a mark of quality that only a handful of UAE’s clinics can boast.
We are also accredited by the Joint Commission International based on an extensive evaluation of our performance regarding the following criteria:
• International patient safety goals
• Access to care and continuity of care
• Patient and family rights
• Assessment of patients
• Care of patient
• Anesthesia and surgical care
• Medication management and use
• Quality improvement and patient safety
• Prevention and control of infections
• Governance, leadership, and direction
• Facility management and safety
• Staff qualifications and education
• Management of information
SHAMMA Medical Center
Jumeirah 1, Street 10C Villa 41, P.O. Box 333423, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
(+971) 4 349 8800
Weekdays from 9:00am to 9:00pm